History of the USS Narragansett
The first USS Narragansett was a 2nd class screw sloop in the United States Navy during the American Civil War. The Narragansett was built at the Boston Navy Yard, launched on 15 February 1859, and commissioned on 6 November 1859, Commander T. A. Hunt in command.
Civil War, 1860–1865: Narragansett operated along the East Coast into the spring of 1860. On 31 March of that year she departed Norfolk, Virginia, for the Pacific, arriving at Valparaíso, Chile, 4 August. Throughout the Civil War she cruised in the Pacific with the primary mission of protecting American mail steamers from Confederate raiders. 15 December 1864, she departed the Eastern Pacific for the East Coast, arriving at New York City on 18 March 1865. There she remained in ordinary for several years.
Gulf of Mexico, 1869: Back in full service in 1869, she was ordered south, to cruise off the Cuban and Floridian coasts. With the outbreak of yellow fever in the ship in the late spring, Narragansett was ordered to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, where she decommissioned 2 July 1869.
Pacific, 1871–1875: Inactive for over two years, she again set sail for the Pacific on 26 March 1871, arriving at San Francisco on 17 September. In December, she sailed for the Southwest Pacific and an extended cruise through the Marshalls, Gilberts and Samoan Islands to Australia, arriving at Sydney on 2 April 1873. On her return from this cruise, the sloop was assigned the special duty of the survey and examination of steamer routes along the coasts of California and Mexico. While she was at Mare Island Naval Shipyard, California, in November 1874, Seaman Thomas Lakin jumped overboard and rescued two shipmates from drowning, for which he was later awarded the Medal of Honor.
Detached from that duty in 1875, Narragansett entered the Mare Island Naval Shipyard, where she decommissioned and was laid up until 3 November 1883, when she was sold to Win. E. Mighell of San Francisco.
The second USS Narragansett (SP-2196) was a transport ship in the United States Navy. The Narragansett was launched by Harlan and Hollingsworth, Wilmington, Delaware, in 1913. She was acquired through purchase from the Central Vermont Transportation Co., on 11 January 1918, and commissioned at New London, on 28 January 1918, Lt. Comdr. William R. Allen, USNRF, in command. On 14 February 1918, Narragansett departed New London and steamed to Wilmington, Delaware, for overhaul and alterations necessary for troop transport service. In May, she shifted to Philadelphia, whence she sailed, in June, to New York. On 10 July, she departed New York, in convoy, arriving at Saint-Nazaire and reporting for duty in the Cross-Channel Fleet on the 21st. From that time until the Armistice, Narragansett served as a unit of that fleet, which was charged with the highly important mission of keeping men and materiel, especially coal, flowing from the British Isles to the Continent. During August and September, Narragansett crossed from Southampton to Le Havre twice a week. In October, she cut back to once a week, but, throughout, she carried an average of over 1,400 troops per voyage. After the Armistice, the transport reversed her mission and commenced carrying troops from France to England. With the new year, 1919, she extended her operational area to include the North Sea and the Baltic Sea ports of Rotterdam, Hamburg, and Copenhagen. On 31 January, however, Narragansett, en route to Southampton, went aground on the Isle of Wight and repairs required two months. She departed Plymouth for New York on 30 May and arrived in New York on 15 June. Decommissioned on 12 September at Hoboken, N.J., she was sold on 13 August 1920
Third USS Narragansett (SP-1163, later YFB-1163), a 244-gross ton wooden steam ferryboat, was built at Saunderstown, Rhode Island, in 1905. The Navy purchased her in June 1918 and placed her in service at the Newport Torpedo Station, R.I., as USS Narragansett (SP-1163). She was re-designated YFP-1163 in July 1920 and continued her employment at Newport for over two more decades. The ferryboat was stricken from the Navy list in February 1944 and later sold.
The fourth Narragansett to be so-named by the U.S. Navy, AT-88 was laid down on 31 January 1942 by the Cramp Shipbuilding Co., Philadelphia; launched on 8 August 1942, sponsored by Miss Lois Kinehen Hill, and commissioned on 15 January 1943, Lt. (j.j.) C. J. Wichmann in command. Following shakedown of the Middle Atlantic seaboard and gunnery and anti-submarine training at Casco Bay, Narragansett departed American waters on 1 April 1943, in convoy for Gibraltar and the Mediterranean theater. Arriving at Gibraltar on the 30th, she continued to Casablanca, thence to Algiers, arriving on 7 May to begin salvage operations along the North African coast under ComNavNAW. On 6 July, she was detached from those duties and ordered to Bizerte, where she prepared for “Operation Husky”, the invasion of Sicily. On the 8th, she departed Bizerte, and by the 10th she was off Seaglitti with “Cent” Force as that force landed near the mouth of the Aeate River on the Camerina Plain. Heavy tolls among the landing craft, caused by heavy surf indefinite landmarks, and inexperienced boat crews, kept the tug busy for the next weeks: at first in the Seaglitti area; then with “Joss” Force at Licata, and finally with “Dime” Force at Gela. By the end of the month she had moved her operation to Palermo, whence she operated until the end of August. On the 10th of that month she departed Sicily to tow the disabled Mayrant (DD-402) to Malta, returning in mid-month. At 0430 on 23 August, the Luftwaffe raided Palermo, with bombs scoring on nearby service craft and a near miss wounding two of AT-88’s crew. Narragansett’s remaining crew immediately set to work to aid the damaged vessels despite explosions which exacted a heavy toll among the fire fighters and damage control sections. Six were dead and 12 seriously wounded before it was over.
On 30 August Narragansett returned to North Africa to stage for the invasion of Italy at Salerno. On 7 September, she departed the Tunisian coast in task unit TU 85.1.1. Soon after midnight, on 9 September, she stood into the Gulf of Salerno. At 0330, the Northern Attack Force sent its assault troops onto the Unnele beaches. By 0507, Narragansett was hard at work aiding the burning Nauset (AT-89) and various landing craft and larger vessels in need of assistance. On the 14th she gained a brief respite from beachhead operations with an assignment to tow the Royal Navy cruiser HMS Uganda to Malta. Until the end of October she continued to operate in support of the Italian offensive; completing several runs to Malta towing both British and American vessels, salvaging vessels of various types and pulling landing from the beaches. From November 1943, through to 22 February 1944, Narragansett once again operated off North Africa performing general duties at Algiers, towing targets for other vessels in the area, and performing salvage missions from Oran to Bizerte. At the end of February, she returned to Italy with a pontoon drydock in tow. and then resumed salvaging landing craft in the Naples area. During April, she performed towing services along the North African coast to Italy and to Sicily resuming in May, duties as general utility ship at Oran. On 16 June, the hard-working tug, now reclassified ATF-86 (effective 15 May), again departed for Naples, this time to join in the preparations for “Operation Dragoon”, the invasion of Southern France. For the next month and a half, she frequently transited the waters between Bizerte, Naples, Sardinia and Corsica, as harbors on the latter island were turned into supply stations, repair facilities and beaching craft convoy staging areas. By 18 August she was off the Provence coast, assigned to “Delta” area, just outside the Golfe de St. Tropez. She next shifted to the more heavily defended “Carnet” area in the Golfe de Frejus. There the Germans, protecting the centuries-old invasion route to the interior along the Argens River and the only airfield and seaplane base on that coast, had mounted impressive coastal batteries along the cliffs heavily mined the waters and beaches. Kept busy in that area until the end of the month. Narragansett then moved on to Toulon and Marseilles. Until mid-October she worked to clear those two harbors for the ships bringing the necessary supplies to the Allied land forces pushing inland toward the heart of the Third Reich. Narragansett returned to Algeria on 13 October and in November departed, in convoy, for the United States. Arriving off the Carolina coast on 12 December, she entered the Charleston Navy Yard for overhaul prior to sailing for the Panama Canal and a new assignment, the Pacific Fleet. On 21 January 1945 she departed for Cristobal, en route to San Francisco, California. While proceeding up the western Central American coast on 23 February, heavy seas and a 50-knot (93 km/h) wind caused the main tow line to floating dry dock ARDC-12 to part. The next day, as the ATF attempted to recover her tow the dock swerved violently hitting the tug and punching a hole, 4 feet (1.2 m) by 2 feet 6 inches (0.76 m), in the starboard side at the waterline. Effecting temporary repairs with mattresses and miscellaneous pieces of metal, she remained in the area until the ARDC was taken in tow by the Coast Guard cutter Bibb (WPG-31), after which she proceeded into Manzanillo, Mexico, for emergency repairs. On 8 March, she continued on up the coast, arriving at her new home port. Mare Island, on the 20th, to complete the job. On 5 May, she departed for Pearl Harbor, whence she sailed, as a unit of ServRon 2, at the end of the month. After delivering U.S. Army barges and various district craft to Eniwetok, Saipan and Guam, she arrived at San Pedro Bay, Leyte on 11 July, to report for duty with ComServRon 10 for the remainder of the war and into October, she performed towing jobs in the Philippine, Marshall, Mariana, Volcano and Hawaiian Islands. Narragansett was awarded three battle stars for her services in World War II. Back at Pearl Harbor on 25 October, she sailed for the east coast, arriving at Charleston, South Carolina, to begin the new year. On active duty for only a few months, she was designated for inactivation in March 1946. Decommissioned at Orange, Texas, on 21 December, she remained berthed there as a unit of the Atlantic Reserve Fleet until 1 September 1961, when she was struck from the Naval Vessel Register. Transferred to the Maritime Administration, she was berthed at Beaumont, Texas, as a unit of the National Defense Reserve Fleet into 1991. Narragansett was sold to the Republic of China (Taiwan) on 20 June 1991.
The fifth USS Narragansett (T-ATF-167) was a Powhatan-class fleet ocean tug of the US Navy. The ship was laid down on 5 May 1977 by the Marinette Marine Corp. of Marinette, Wisconsin. Launched on 12 May 1979, and delivered to the Navy on 9 November 1979,as the fifth USS Narragansett was assigned to the Military Sealift Command (MSC), and placed in service as USNS Narragansett (T-ATF-167). She participated in the search for the remains of the downed Korean Air Lines Flight 007 in 1983. Narragansett towed the decommissioned battleship Missouri to the Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, 3 April 1992. The ship was placed out of service on 18 October 1999, and assigned to the inactive reserve. Struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 5 June 2002, she was transferred to Naval Air Systems Command for service as tow/service vessel on 2 August 2002. Narragansett was leased through Naval Sea Systems Command (Supervisor of Salvage), for commercial service.
The sixth USS Narragansett (DDG-126) was an Arleigh Burke class of guided missile destroyer. The Arleigh Burke (DDGs) was the United States Navy’s first class of destroyer built around the Aegis Combat System and the SPY-1D multifunction passive electronically scanned array radar. The class is named for Admiral Arleigh Burke, the most famous American destroyer officer of World War II, and later Chief of Naval Operations. The class leader, USS Arleigh Burke, was commissioned during Admiral Burke’s lifetime. These warships were designed as multi-mission destroyers to fit the antiaircraft warfare (AAW) role with their powerful Aegis radar and surface-to-air missiles; antisubmarine warfare (ASW), with their towed sonar array, anti-submarine rockets, and ASW helicopter; anti-surface warfare (ASuW) with their Harpoon missile launcher; and strategic land strike role with their Tomahawk missiles. With upgrades to their AN/SPY-1 phased radar systems and their associated missile payloads as part of the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System, the ships of this class have also begun to demonstrate some promise as mobile antiballistic missile and anti-satellite weaponry platforms. Some versions of the class no longer have the towed sonar, or Harpoon missile launcher. Their hull and superstructure were designed to have a reduced radar cross section. With an overall length of 505 to 509 feet (154 to 155 m), displacement ranging from 8,315 to 9,200 tons, and weaponry including over 90 missiles, the Arleigh Burke class are larger and more heavily armed than most previous ships classified as guided missile cruisers. Commissioned 2014. Mothballed 2025. Struck from naval records 2035.
The seventh USS Narragansett (DDG-5017) was the largest and most technologically advanced surface combatant in the world. Zumwalt class of next-generation multi-mission destroyers were designed to strengthen naval power from the sea. These ships featured a state-of-the-art electric propulsion system, wave-piercing tumblehome hull, stealth design and the latest war fighting technology and weaponry available. The Zumwalt-class destroyer could perform a range of deterrence, power projection, sea control, and command and control missions while allowing the Navy to evolve with new systems and missions. It does all of this while maintaining its stealth – making this visually imposing ship difficult to find whether close to the shore or far out to sea. These warships possessed stealth, size, power, survivability systems, and computing capacity that provided the Navy with the ability to meet maritime missions at sea, as well as incorporate new technologies to meet emerging security environments. The cutting-edge technologies of this class create versatility and allow for sustained operations in the littorals and land attack, as well as support special operations forces, and operate as an integral part of joint and combined expeditionary forces. Its multi-mission design and littoral capabilities made it a globally deployable asset to the Fleet and any Combatant Command. Commissioned 2040, mothballed 2098. Struck from naval records 2100
The eighth USS Narragansett (ECS-5017) Commissioned 2103 Y Class, or Class Y starships were freighters deployed by the Earth Cargo Service in the 22nd century. Y class ships were built to replace the earlier J-class starships that had been used by Earth’s cargo service in the early 22nd century. The design principles of a Class Y were similar to those of the earlier class J ships – with the major difference being that the Y class was a larger vessel.
The ships had a crew complement of 23; however, this did not account for children which may have been born to the crew members during their long voyages. Y class ships were capable of a maximum speed of warp 1.8. The eight cargo modules attached to the sides of the ship gave the ship a total capacity of 20 kilotons. The ships came with a single plasma cannon, however most freighter Captains upgraded their weapons as soon as possible as their cargoes made them attractive targets for pirates. Commissioned 2103. Lost during rescue mission in orbit of Genesis Planet. Exact date of incident unknown due to temporal distortions. Struck from naval records 2235.
The ninth USS Narragansett: Our Ship
Name: USS Narragansett
Owner: United Federation of Planets
Captain: James J Knotts
Active: 2382 to Present
Assignment: Deep Space Exploration
Length: 685 meters
Decks: variable (see “Physical arrangement”)
Speed: Warp 9.975+
18 phaser arrays
1 forward quantum torpedo launcher
3 forward photon torpedo launchers
6 aft photon torpedo launchers
Regenerating Deflector shields
Sovereign-class starships are quite adaptable to different missions, whether they be scientific, defensive, or diplomatic. These ships have 29 numbered decks. Two shuttle bays, one on the far aft of the secondary hull, similar to the hangar of the older Constitution and Ambassador-class ships, and another bay on the aft part of deck 7 were built in to the class. The Sovereign vessels are also fitted with a captain’s yacht which launched from the underside of the saucer section. The class has 6 standard personnel transporters, 8 cargo transporters and 6 emergency transporters. The class features a warp drive modified not to have damaging effects on subspace, without the necessity of the Intrepid-class’s continuum-safe variable geometry warp nacelles. The Sovereign-class has a maximum speed of warp 9.975+. The Sovereign-class incorporated bioneural gel packs into its computer systems. The bioneural gel in them was obtained from the Kropaslin and was designed by Doctor Delasat Vantimor. The class is capable of separation with the saucer section and secondary hull becoming autonomous vehicles. In terms of weapons the Sovereign-class starship is fitted with a phaser array, should it be nonoperational then there was an auxiliary pulse phaser cannon that emerged from the hull. This cannon is capable of being manually operated and fired two pulse blasts along with a powered shot. Originally, the Sovereign-class was outfitted with 12 phaser arrays and 5 torpedo tubes. The Sovereign-class now has 4 extra phaser arrays mounted on the nacelle pylons and 5 more torpedo tubes. With this class of vessel, the quantum torpedo has been introduced as the most advanced tactical weapon in the Federation. The Sovereign-class can ordinarily transport up to 6500 passengers in an emergency scenario. During the evacuation of the iy’Dewra’ni refugee camp in 2381, the crew of the Enterprise-E increased this number to over 9800. Sovereign-class vessels have a streamlined design and ventral shielding.